Grant me, O Lord, a sense of good humor.
Allow me the grace to be able to take a joke to discover in life a bit of joy, and to be able to share it with others.
– From St. Thomas More’s Prayer for Good Humor
A tribute to the Joy Makers – America’s treasured cartoonists, who create laughter for all of us. No Greater Love is grateful for their outstanding support over the years. They created special poster calendars that No Greater Love sent annually from 1971-2005 to children of America’s fallen and our thousands of troops throughout the world. Calendars were also sent to Military and VA Hospitals and to embassies worldwide. The calendars were a daily reminder that they were not forgotten.
Through the years, thousands of calendars were distributed to:
– U.S. Navy ships in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans including aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers, submarines and small minesweepers
– U.S. Army for soldiers in Germany, Italy, the Balkans, Japan, Korea, Sinai, Iraq, Kuwait. Afghanistan, Cuba, Honduras and other locations where soldiers serve around the world
– U.S. Marine Corps for Marines in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Liberia and Japan
– U.S. Air Force for Airmen in Kuwait and Afghanistan
– U.S. Coast Guard for Coast Guardsmen in Iraq
These calendars were made possible with the help of many generous supporters: the celebrities who signed the calendars, the AFL-CIO Unions, District Lithograph Company Inc. and Auras Design.
No Greater Love thanks all the cartoonists for their creativity, kindness and support in helping us honor the protectors of our freedom.
- Bill Rechin, Don Wilder, Brant Parker: Crock
- Johnny Hart & Brant Parker: Wizard of ID
- Dik Browne: Hagar the Horrible and Hi and Lois
- Bil & Jeff Keane: Family Circus
- Mell Lazarus: Momma and Miss Peach
- Milton Caniff: Steve Canyon
- Patrick McDonnell: Mutts
- Jeff Millar & Bill Hinds: Tank McNamara
- John Cullen Murphy & Cullen Murphy: Prince Valiant
- Mort Walker: Beetle Bailey and Hi and Lois
- Hy Eisman: Popeye
- Charles Schulz: Peanuts
- Tom Armstrong: Marvin
- Jim Davis: Garfield
- Johnny Hart: B.C.
- Hank Ketcham : Dennis the Menace
- Lynn Johnston: For Better or for Worse
- Bill Gallo: Sports cartoonist, New York Daily News